Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

No Shame In The Blame Game

| Right | February 25, 2013

(We sell candles and during sales usually make a mountain out of our left over stock on a display table. A young girl around age 10 has picked up one of the candles from the group, sniffed it and put it back down and began to walk away. Suddenly a loud crash sounds and several candles on the other side of the table fall to the floor. A woman had just picked up a candle and is standing in front of the fallen candles.)

Woman: “I didn’t do it! It was that kid’s fault!”

Kid: “What? The candles fell on your side of the table.”

Woman: “Shut up you little brat! I saw you knock over those candles! You should be ashamed of yourself! This is why kids should not be allowed in public. Where is your mother!?”

(Having witnessed the ordeal, I walk over and chime in.)

Me: “Ma’am, she wasn’t touching the candles when they fell, and you are holding the same scent of candle that is on the floor.”

Woman: “This is what is wrong with kids today! They are so sheltered! They have no idea how to take responsibility for their actions! How will they function in the real world?” *looks to the little girl* “You are in for a nasty shock when mommy and daddy are no longer around, brat!”

(The whole store is watching in silence. My manager walks over.)

Manager: “Ma’am I am going to have to ask you to pay for the items you smashed or leave the store.”

Woman: *dumbfounded* “I am a loyal, paying customer. You can’t treat me this way! You are only making me pay because this brat doesn’t have any money. I will never shop here again!”

Manager: “Good. Now leave. We’re a family-friendly establishment.”

Woman: “Children are ruining society!” *storms out*

(The little girl seemed a little upset but was not crying and said she was okay. Another customer bought her a nice perfume and body lotion set and our manager gave her one of our rubber ducks!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!