Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Has No Reservations About Bribing

, , | Right | August 22, 2017

(I am a hostess at a family-oriented chain restaurant. This particular evening is the busiest I have ever seen, with every single table occupied and a huge crowd of people waiting to be seated. Most people who approach the restaurant see the giant crowds and just walk away, but a man comes in with his wife and two kids around eight pm, and he literally has to push through the crowd to get to me.)

Customer: “Table for four, please.”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, as you can see we are slammed tonight and the wait for a table is currently about TWO hours. I can put your name on the wait list if you want, but it is unlikely we’ll be able to get you seated before 10 pm.”

Customer: “What?! No, wait, I have a reservation. It’s under the last name… umm… Smith.”

Me: “Sir, we do not accept reservations at this restaurant.”

Customer: “Oh, well… umm… uhhh… that’s not what the other girl said! I made a reservation here for eight pm with the girl who was in earlier. She took my name!”

Me: “Sir, the MAN who usually works the early shift called in sick today. I took his shift and I assure you I did not promise you a reservation and neither did anyone else here.”

(I point to sign on desk that clearly says walk-ins only; no reservations accepted. It’s obvious he is just making stuff up completely trying to cut the line, but I decide not to directly call him out on it and play along.)

Me: “Is it possible you made your reservation at another restaurant?”

Customer: “No. Look, here, just take this and get us seated right now.”

(He tries to hand me a $20 bill but I put my hand behind my back.)

Me: “Even if I wanted to take that, sir, look around. Literally every single table in this place is currently occupied. I have no where to put you.”

Customer: *now screaming* “WHAT THE H***, YOU SELFISH B****! WHAT DO YOU WANT, $100? I CAN’T AFFORD THAT. I JUST WANT TO GET MY FAMILY SOME FOOD!”

(Now everyone is looking in our direction. He takes a step back and smirks at me, then starts turning to other customer and telling them I tried to “blackmail” him into giving me $100 to cut the line. My manager hears the commotion and comes to see what is happening.)

Customer: *to Manager* “She told me if I wanted to be seated tonight I need to pay her $100. This is an outrage! I demand you fire her and I want a free meal right now!”

(I have been working at this restaurant for over two years and the manager knows me well. He turns to me and asks if it’s true.)

Me: “Absolutely not. He tried to give me a $20 and started screaming when I wouldn’t take it. I mean, we could just check the security camera.” *I point to the camera the owner had installed about six months ago when someone tried to rob the place at gunpoint. I know it has advanced picture and sound, and there is a microphone installed at the hostess podium that catches everything said near there.* “I’m sure it caught the entire conversation.”

(The customer looked panicked and ran out of the store, taking his confused family with him. My boss and I went back and watched the camera footage after the restaurant closed that night, just for fun.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!