Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

No Reservation, No Direction, No Clue

, , | Right | January 3, 2021

I’m a waitress at a small restaurant kind of far from where I live. My third day actually serving tables is the week after my sixteenth birthday and we are SLAMMED.

I’m in the middle of all this, and I am the only waitress aside from a trainee. The phone rings and I go grab it.

Customer: “Hi. I’d like a reservation for forty-five minutes from now?”

Me: “I’m sorry, I can’t do that for you. Policy is that I’m only allowed to take reservations on the hour, like at six or seven, until an hour before we close. Forty-five minutes from now is 6:30. I can give you a reservation for seven, if you’d like.”

Customer: “But I’m in the car on the way there!”

Me: “Reservations are not necessary, just recommended. If you get here at 6:30, you may need to wait a few minutes, but it shouldn’t be too many and we won’t turn you away.”

Customer: “But can’t you just get a table for me right now?”

Me: “I’m so sorry, ma’am, but all of the tables are currently occupied. I have a few that just ordered dessert, so if you get here in forty-five minutes, you shouldn’t have to wait much more than fifteen minutes, hopefully.”

Customer: “Well, why can’t you give me a reservation at six?”

Me: “You want a reservation for ten minutes from now?”

Customer: “Yes!”

Me: “I’m sorry, that’s too soon for me to take. As I’ve said, the wait shouldn’t be too bad, and I can make sure you and your party have drinks until I can seat you and serve you.”

Customer: “Ridiculous. Whatever. Can you guide me?”

Me: “I’m sorry?”

Customer: “I’m on [Road]. How do I get there?”

Me: “You want me to… give you directions here? I’m sorry, ma’am, I have tables—”

Customer: “Do you want my business or not?”

Me: “Ma’am, I’m sorry, but I’m not even from the area—”

Customer: “Find me someone who is!”

Me: *Pauses* “Sure, ma’am. Hold, please.”

Customer: “Dumba**es.” *Hangs up*

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!