Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

No Refund, Snowflake!

, , , , , | Working | May 9, 2019

(At my store, men’s boxers are sold in a box. They are sealed, and the size and a size guide are printed on the box. Our policy is that underwear is non-returnable. A man walks in and approaches the register with an open package of snowflake-pattern boxers.)

Customer: “Hi. I was wondering if I could return these?”

Me: “I’m sorry, but we don’t accept returns or exchanges on underwear.”

Customer: “Okay, but I bought the box that said medium, see? But the boxers inside were XL. I can’t wear them.”

Me: “That’s weird. Can I take a look?”

(Sure enough, the box and waistband tags don’t match. The boxers also are obviously larger than mediums. The receipt says he bought mediums. I guess it could be a convoluted scam get $9, but it seems unlikely. Also, the boxers are still crisp and clean.)

Me: “Let me call a manager and see if he can make an exception.”

(I page the manager and when he arrives, I explain the situation and show him the boxers, box, and receipt.)

Manager: *to customer* “I’m sorry, but we can’t do returns or exchanges on underwear.”

Customer: “Sure, but these are sized wrong.”

Manager: “No, I’m sorry. No returns on underwear. It’s printed on your receipt.”

Customer: “But the store made the mistake! And I never wore them; I can’t use them.”

Manager: “No returns or exchanges on underwear. I’m sorry.”

Customer: “Are you kidding me?”

Manager: “I’m sorry. We can’t accept any underwear back…”

(It continues in this vein until the poor guy gives up and leaves with his too-big boxers.)

Manager: *turns to me* “What was his problem? Doesn’t he like snowflakes?”

Me: *internal facepalm*

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!