Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

No Prepay Or Go Away

, , , | Right | May 6, 2020

The store’s phone rings right as a customer walks in. I speak to the caller.

Me: “Hi, this is [Store], [My Name] speaking. Can you please hold on a second? Someone just walked in.”

Caller: “Sure, no problem, sweetie. Take your time.”

I lay the phone on the counter and smile at the customer as he approaches the counter.

Me: “Hi, how can I help you?”

The customer approaches, pulling out a credit card.

Customer: “I need $50 on pump number two.”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, but I can’t prepay fuel with a credit card. You can either leave your card with me as collateral or pay at the pump.”

Customer: *Suddenly livid* “Then why the h*** does it say, ‘PREPAY ONLY,’ on your pumps?”

Me: “It’s for cash customers, sir.”

Customer: *Shouting* “Then why doesn’t it say, ‘Cash customers prepay’?”

Me: “I’m not sure, sir. I didn’t print up those signs. Honestly, I couldn’t tell you who did, either.”

Customer: “FINE! WHATEVER!”

He stomps out and starts fiddling with the pump and I pick up the phone.

Me: “I’m so sorry about that, ma’am.”

Customer: “That’s okay, honey. Can you see if you have any flour?”

Me: “Sure.”

I walk around the counter and, right as I take one step down the aisle where the flour is kept, the customer storms back in the store and glares at me, before yelling.

Customer: “I can’t get the stupid, d***ed thing to work!”

He throws money at me.

Customer: “There’s fifty dollars in cash! Set the g**d***ed pump!”

Me: *Smiling* “Yes, sir. I’ll do that.”

I apologize to the caller again as I set his pump. I go back in search of the flour, but before I can confirm it, the customer stomps into the store again, screaming and pointing an accusing finger at me.

Customer: “And you need to stay off that f****** phone when you’ve got a g**d*** customer!”

I rub my temples.

Me: “Sir, the person on the phone is a customer, too.”

Customer: “Whatever! F*** you, you stupid, lying b****!”

I sigh.

Me: “Have a good day, sir.”

I wait until he drives off before I attempt to talk to the caller again.

Me: “I’m so sorry about that, ma’am. We do have flour.”

Caller: “Thank you, honey. And I’m sorry that you got screamed at because I called you.”

Me: *Laughing* “Oh, it’s okay, ma’am. It’s not your fault he’s stupid.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!