Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

No One Getting Just Desserts

, , | Right | August 22, 2018

(I work at a chain restaurant. Corporate recently decided that there were too many dessert items on the dessert menu and discontinued a few of them. However, for some reason, one of the items they decided to do away with was the most popular dessert item at the location where I work. People have noticed it is not on the menu, asked if we still carry it, and when told no have started yelling at or getting very angry with us. This has been going on for over a week.)

Me: “And would any of you like dessert today?”

Customer: *looking intently at the menu* “I don’t see [dessert item] on the menu; don’t you carry it anymore?”

Me: *inwardly cringing* “No, I’m so sorry, but corporate decided to discontinue it. I don’t know why, because it was really popular. Is there anything else you would like to have, instead?”

(There is a long pause, and I’m afraid this customer is working themselves up to have the tantrum to end all tantrums. Then, they just let out this disappointed-sounding sigh.)

Customer: *looking dejected* “No, it’s fine. Thank you for telling me.”

Me: *surprised* “I can give you a free brownie, for the trouble.”

Customer: *still looking dejected* “No, it’s okay. I appreciate the offer, though.”

(They looked so sad for the whole time their dinner companion was eating dessert. I offered to give them a free brownie again, to go, after their bill came, but they still said no. To the customer: I’m sorry you were disappointed about the dessert, but I really appreciate that you didn’t yell at me. And it really was popular, so I hope they do bring it back!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!