Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

No Offense, But… Get Some Friends

, , , , , | Right | September 9, 2022

The company receptionist is out today. I am one of several people whose phone is set up to take incoming calls when the receptionist is unavailable.

Me: “Good afternoon, [Company].”

Caller: “Uh… um… I think I have the wrong… Oh! Hey, it’s [Caller] from [Company #2]. How are you doing?”

I am totally thrown because it’s clear from his tone that he expects me to recognize him, but I have no idea who he is.

Me: “Uh… fine. Um… how are you?”

Caller: “I’m good, glad it’s Friday and almost the weekend.” 

There’s an awkward pause.

Caller: “So, can I speak to [Coworker]?”

Me: “Sure.”

I transfer him, thinking that will be the end of it. A few minutes later, the phone rings again.

Caller: “Hi, it’s [Caller] from [Company #2] again!”

I am once again thrown because it is still clear that he expects me to recognize him, and I still don’t.

Me: “…hello.”

Caller: “…”

Me: “…”

Caller: “…”

Me: “…how can I help you?”

Caller: “Uh, yeah, I was just talking to you at the counter yesterday?”

Me: “Uh, I’m a remote employee living in [State 2,000 miles away], so whoever you talked to, it wasn’t me.”

Caller: “OH! Oh, okay, that makes sense. I thought you were [Receptionist]! No wonder you didn’t recognize me! [Receptionist] and I talk all the time. I couldn’t understand how you didn’t remember me; it was like I was in the Twilight Zone! It was clear you didn’t have a clue who I was. It was so weird!”

He continues rambling in this vein for at least a full minute, to the point where it’s becoming more awkward than the original misunderstanding. Eventually, he winds down.

Me: “So, what can I help you with?”

Caller: “Oh, no, I don’t need anything. Thank you!” *Click*

I guess he just wanted to chat with his buddy [Receptionist]?

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!