Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

No Need To Get Fired Up About It

, , , , , , , | Working | March 28, 2023

I was a Duty Officer during fire season back when we issued burning permits from the office. (This process is now online and centralized.) The permits were given out with the understanding that they could be cancelled at any time due to changing conditions. 

We had daily weather briefings, and one came along with storms and strong winds developing in the next few days. We put announcements out on the radio that all burning was suspended and any current burns were to be extinguished. We also got on the phone and called the permit holders.

Everyone was very cooperative until I called one company that was doing some land clearing. The fellow was very arrogant and said words to this effect:

Employee: “No g**d*** government employee is going to tell me what to do!”

No need to get worked up on my end. I simply informed him of the relevant legislation requiring him to comply, the fines for not complying, the rough costs he would be assigned if his fire got away, and the likelihood of legal action from surrounding property owners.

Me: “Finally, sir, you should know that I have several fire crews, helicopters, bulldozers, and water trucks on call, and as soon as I hang up, I will be dispatching a suitable workforce to ensure that your fires are out. You will get the full bill, and you will be unlikely to be granted a permit in the future.”

He got quiet for a bit and grumbled that he would have his crews on it.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!