Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

No License To Bill

, , | Right | February 25, 2021

I am working in a small supermarket. A man comes to me with a beer can and one can of sparkling wine.

Me: “That would be 3,33 €.”

Customer: “I’ll pay with card.”

He gives me a card that’s not signed on the back. As per policy, I ask him for his license.

Customer: “I don’t have it with me; it’s my wife’s card. She’s waiting in the car.”

I then look at the name of the cardholder and see it’s a female name.

Me: “I’m sorry, but I can’t use this card unless your wife shows me her license.”

The customer begins negotiating with me because it’s only 3€ and nobody would steal a card for this amount. I see that he won’t understand and step away from the till to call my boss, so she can explain it again and maybe convince him. By the time she’s there, the customer is on his way out to get his wife. My boss sees this and tells me to make them show me a license and it’ll be fine.

Me: *To his wife* “The card is not signed.”

Customer’s Wife: “Okay, let me sign it.”

Me: “No, I need to see a license.”

The two customers begin to argue in another language. She then leaves to get her license.

Customer: “It’s a Polish license. Can you even read Polish?”

I shake my head.

Customer: “Thought so.”

The woman came back and showed her ID, which matched the name on the card, and left. I let the customer pay with his wife’s card and sent him on his way. My boss saw that this thing clearly upset me and assured me that I had done everything right. At least it was a Friday!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!