Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

No ID, No Idea, Part 39

, , | Right | May 10, 2019

(A coworker is having trouble with a customer who is at the store for a refund. Our store policy is that we need to see and record that we have seen the customer’s ID before we can finalise the refund. The customer is yelling at my teenage coworker.)

Customer: “WHY DO YOU NEED MY ID?”

Coworker: “It’s company policy.”

Customer: “WELL, IT’S AN INVASION OF PRIVACY! I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO SHOW IT. IT JUST PROVES HOW MUCH THIS PLACE TRUSTS THEIR CUSTOMERS; IT’S DISGUSTING TO FEEL ACCUSED OF SOMETHING.”

(She’s getting louder and I decide to excuse myself from my customer to see if I can placate her, as the coworker is getting upset. I decide to go with what is, for the most part, the actual truth.)

Me: “It’s not you the company doesn’t trust; it’s the staff.”

Customer: “What do you mean by that?”

Me: “Well, unfortunately, in the past, they have had staff members in other stores who have refunded money to themselves, so now we have to prove that we did the right thing by recording the customer’s ID.”

Customer: “Oh, wow, I didn’t realise that. I’m never going to complain about showing my ID again. Thanks for that.”

Related:
No ID, No Idea, Part 38
No ID, No Idea, Part 37
No ID, No Idea, Part 36

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!