Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Assumptions Are Off Color

| Working | August 20, 2014

(I work in a store where, in lieu of uniforms, employees have color-coded name tags designating their sections; blue for kitchen, green for household, etc. I am explaining to a new coworker that I have prosopagnosia, a condition wherein I can’t recognize faces.)

Coworker #1: “That’s so bizarre! How do you recognize people?”

Me: “Well, everyone’s faces look the same, so I look for an identifying characteristic, like that you have a purple mohawk, or that coworker has a jacket with [cartoon character] on it that he wears every day.”

Coworker #1: “So, something that’s really hard to miss and is instantly noticeable? That must make retail interesting!”

Me: “Oh yeah! Last week—”

(I am interrupted by another coworker, who has overheard us and come over, interrupting our conversation.)

Coworker #2: “So what’s my identifying feature?”

Me: “Oh, that’s easy! It’s because you’re—”

Coworker #2: “It’s because I’m [race], isn’t it? Everyone’s face is the same except mine, because you just can’t see anything other than a [race] coworker.”

Me: “Well, you—”

Coworker #2: “I think it’s disgusting that I’m the only one you can ‘see’ because of my color. You can just ‘see’ me magically.”

(She continues on for a couple more minutes about racial stereotyping in the workplace. Finally, when she pauses to take a breath…)

Me: “Actually, it’s because of your name tag. It’s red. You’re the only person with a red name tag, because you’re the manager.”

Coworker #2: *is quiet for about a minute* “Don’t let it happen again.” *storms off*

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!