Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

No ID, No Idea, Part 16

| Right | October 28, 2014

(I’m working register as my shift starts when a teenaged couple walks in. The guy walks up, girl in tow.)

Customer: “I’d like some cigarettes, please.”

Me: “I’ll need to see your ID.”

Customer: “SERIOUSLY?”

Me: “Uh, yeah. State law, all that.”

Customer: “Do I look like I’m under 18?”

Me: “Well, you look under 30, and that’s really what we go by.”

Customer: “Ugh, FINE. I’ll go out to the car and grab it. What a waste of time.”

(He leaves to go grab his ID out of the car. His girlfriend looks rather embarrassed. He storms back in, and slams his ID on the counter.)

Customer: “There. Can I buy my f****** smokes now?”

(I check his ID. It’s legit.)

Me: “Sir, you turned 18 three days ago.”

Customer: “Well, duh, I know that.”

Me: “My point is, you’re going to be asked for ID for a long time, so, you might wanna be ready for that.”

Customer: “But I’m 18! Why would people ask me for my ID now?”

Me: “Because it’s the law… Can I give you another tip, sir?”

Customer: *sighs* “What?”

Me: “If you don’t want to be carded for age-restricted purchases, you probably shouldn’t be wearing your high-school letterman jacket around. Doesn’t help your case.”

(He looks down at himself and verifies that he is, indeed, gaudily labeled as a high school student. His girlfriend giggles. He takes a moment to gather his thoughts.)

Customer: “Oh… well, okay. Thanks for the advice. Can I get some smokes, now?”

Me: “Certainly.”

 

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!