Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

No ID-ea How This Works

, , , , | Right | February 28, 2019

(The store’s policy states that everyone who looks under forty gets ID’d for tobacco or alcohol. No exceptions, and once the cashier has asked for ID you must produce one to purchase the product. One day, a very young-looking woman approaches my till. I also look very young; no one has ever been able to guess my age correctly, so I’m a bit more careful when ID’ing women.)

Customer: “Can I get two packs of cigarettes?”

Me: “Sure! Do you have your ID on you?”

Customer: *immediately gets irritated* “Seriously? You know I’m over eighteen!”

Me: “Yes, I’m sorry, but it’s company policy to ID anyone who looks to be under forty. I don’t want to get in trouble.”

Customer: “I’m way older than you, that’s for sure! I’m over forty-two!”

Me: “Be that as it may, I need an ID before I can process a transaction. I’d get in trouble if I just handed over the cigarettes.”

Customer: “This is ridiculous!”

(She stomps towards the door, not indicating if she’s coming back, so I set the cigarettes aside and wait a few moments to see if she comes back, and she does. She almost throws her ID at me.)

Me: “Thank you, ma’am. Your total is [price].”

Customer: “Whatever, just finish ringing me up.”

Me: “Okay, here’s your receipt and your bag. Have a good day!”

Customer: “Whatever.”

(This story has a somewhat satisfying ending. Because I set the cigarettes aside, they never made it into her bag. She ended up having to come back about fifteen minutes later with a pissy, self-absorbed look on her face. I just handed them to her without a word.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!