Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

No Discord For Past Discard

| Working | April 12, 2015

(I have recently started a new job, mainly operating the register, which I had never done before so was still getting used to it. Since the store is so short-staffed, there are some tasks that are not being done on time. Because of this, some items have gone ‘past discard,’ meaning they are no longer in our computer system and should have been removed from the sales floor. My manager on duty has advised me to apologize to any customers that want these items but explain there is no possible way we can sell them. The last customers of the night happen to be a fairly affluent looking couple, buying princess-themed things when a $1 item comes up ‘past discard.’)

Me: “I’m sorry but this item is no longer on our inventory so I cannot sell it to you.”

Man: “What?! That is false advertising! I’m a lawyer and if it is on the sales floor IT IS FOR SALE!”

Me: “I’m sorry but it is not in our inventory. There is no way for me to make the computer recognize it.”

(I try radio-ing my manager-on-duty over since this man is getting very loud and threatening. But even though she is not busy, she refuses to come help me. In fact, she is standing across the store watching this man bully me as I try explaining that there is nothing anyone in the store can do.)

Man: “If you do not sell me this item I will file charges against the company!”

(Since I am still on my probationary period, I’m afraid he will cause trouble and I will get fired.)

Me: “If you will please calm down, the manager-on-duty will be over in a minute to help.”

(As we are waiting the wife takes glee in telling me how her lawyer husband threatened another store and got them a laptop real cheap. Then my coward of an MOD radios me to relay to the customer that we cannot do anything tonight but if he will leave his name and number, the store manager will call him tomorrow with a solution.)

Man: “Fine! But set this aside because we WILL be back tomorrow to get it!”

(At that point, the MOD rushes over with another $1 product that is not past discard, scans it, and puts the past discard item in the man’s bag before turning to me.)

Manager-On-Duty: “See? Was that so hard?”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!