Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

No Business Like Snow Business

| Right | February 13, 2013

(I work in a ski resort town at a small store that sells ski & snowboard accessories. It’s peak season and extremely busy. There is a constant line at the register and since we are understaffed, I am running the store alone open to close. This means I can’t leave the store or have a break during the shift. I am ringing people up when a customer with her three daughters come running in the crowded store.)

Customer: “Ma’am, excuse me! I know you’re busy, but my daughters have a lesson in 20 minutes and they need goggles! But we really just need them for the week.”

Me: “Okay, ma’am, hang on a minute and I’ll be right with you.”

(After ringing up a couple more people, I break away from the line to show her our basic goggles and open the case to let her daughters try them on, while people are calling after me to ring them up.)

Customer: “Great, we’ll take four pairs!”

Me: “Excellent.”

(I lock the case, walk to the back closet and have to climb on a chair to reach four pairs on the top shelf and hand them to the woman. The people at the register are clearly getting more impatient.)

Me: “If you just head to the back of the line, I’ll take care of you shortly.”

Customer: “Great, thanks!”

(I return to the register. The customer eventually gets to the front of the line, pays, and leaves. Ten minutes later, I am still ringing people up, and the customer comes back and pokes her head in the store.)

Customer: “Hey!”

Me: “Yes, ma’am?”

Customer: “Do you like coffee or soda?”

Me: “Uh… coffee?”

(The customer disappears, and returns five minutes later and hands me a large latte.)

Customer: “I just wanted to thank you for helping me out when you were so busy! It looked like you wouldn’t be able to leave so I got this for you.”

Me: “Wow… thank you so much, ma’am! I really, really appreciate this.”

Customer: “Not a problem! Have a good day!”

(It was one of the longest 60-hour weeks of my life, but that small gesture made my week and reminded me that there are some awesome tourists too!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!