Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Next Year Just Play It By Ear

| Related | December 10, 2014

(I have this conversation with my mother-in-law the first summer I am dating her son, my future husband. My husband is there to hear this conversation.)

Mother-In-Law: *sees my earrings* “Oh, I love those!”

Me: “Thanks! A lady I work with makes them.”

Mother-In-Law: “I love big earrings!”

Me: “Oh, really? I never see you wear them.”

Mother-In-Law: “Yeah, I just don’t usually get around to putting them on so people don’t think I like them. I love big earrings like that, but people always assume I don’t because I don’t wear them.”

(It sounds to me like she’s upset people don’t know that about her, so I put that in my mental vault to bring out for gifts at Christmas time. I order her a few pairs of the same exact kind of earring I was wearing that day with different charms of things that she likes instead.)

Mother-In-Law: *as she opens them* “Oh, they’re beautiful! I love them! I never get earrings like this!”

Me: “I know. I remembered our conversation about it where you said no one knew that about you.”

(Fast-forward to the first year my husband and I are married. I am picking out Christmas gifts again.)

Me: “I’m thinking of getting your mom some more earrings this year, although I’ve never seen her wear the last ones I got her.”

Husband: *makes a doubtful face*

Me: “What?” *moment of realization* “She didn’t like them, did she?”

Husband: “…no.”

Me: “Why not? She loved the ones I had.”

Husband: “She said they were too big.”

Me: “What?! They were the same size as the ones she liked of mine!”

Husband: *sigh* “I know…”

(I gave up trying for personalized things for her that year, since she was so back-and-forth with what she said she liked. Sometimes you can’t win!)


This story is part of our Mother-In-Law roundup!

Want to read the next story? Click here!

Want to see the roundup? Click here!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!