Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Natural Attraction

| Working | June 15, 2015

(I’m shopping with some friends at the mall. At the moment, I am in a cosmetics store known for their handmade, all-natural products. It’s not really ‘my kind’ of store since I’m not especially interested in the all-natural scene, but my friends are shopping and I’m enjoying smelling the many products. It’s a busy day and there are many employees on the floor helping customers. I am wearing a necklace with an obviously hand-made ceramic pendant which I bought at a craft fair. I am browsing through shampoos with one of my friends.)

Employee #1: “Hi, do you two need any help with anything?”

Friend: “Oh no, we’re just browsing, thanks.”

Employee #1: “Great! Let me know if you have any questions.” *to me* “By the way, I really like your necklace. Did you make it?”

Me: “Oh, thanks! No, I didn’t; I bought it.”

Employee #1: “Oh, I see. Anyway, it’s very nice!”

(I thank her and my friend and I continue browsing through the products. A minute later we pass by two more employees while looking through soaps, and again we are asked if we need help. We explain that we’re just browsing, and then again:)

Employee #2: What a neat necklace! I was wondering, did you make it?

Me: “Thanks very much, but no.”

Employee #3: “Ohhh, you bought it? It’s super cool. I like to make ceramics myself. I really like the glaze.”

(Again I thank them, and go back to browsing. A few minutes later, I am looking through fresh masks and am approached by another employee. Again he asks if we need help, but we say no. Then, of course:)

Employee #4: “I really like your necklace! What is it made of?”

(By now my friend is starting to giggle.)

Me: “Thanks… It’s made out of ceramic. I found it at a craft fair.”

Employee #4: “Oh, neat!”

(Both of us are amused at this point, but we simply go back to browsing, since our other friends are still looking for something. In the next five or ten minutes we encounter two more employees, who offer help then compliment my necklace! I accept the compliments graciously, but I think it’s pretty funny. When we’ve exhausted everything there is to look at and smell, we decide to head to the shop next door while we wait for our other friends to finish up. I’ve been complimented by six total employees, both male and female, so far. As we leave:)

Employee #7: “Thanks for coming. By the way, I love the necklace!”

Me: “Thanks!”

(When we’ve left the store I look over to my giggling friend.)

Me: “Of course in the ‘hippie’ store they all compliment my ‘hippie’ necklace! Watch, I’ll bet you that not a single other person will mention it today.”

(We shopped for several more hours, visiting about five more stores and going out to dinner. I was right; although nearly every worker in the ‘hippie’ store noticed it, not a single other person we met said anything about my necklace!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!