Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

New Money, Old Problems

, , , | Right | December 17, 2020

I’m working at a bank. I’m a woman in my twenties. A male customer, about my age, approaches the counter.

Customer #1: “I need $100 in new ones for Eid.”

Me: “I’m sorry, but we don’t have any new ones on hand at this time. I can sort through what we do have and get you some nice bills, though.”

Customer #1: “No, they must be new. Do you even know what Eid is?! It’s required that I have new money.”

Me: “I’m sorry, sir, but we don’t have any.”

Customer #1: “Well, go make some more!”

Me: “Come again?”

Customer #1: “In the back. You make them in the back, right?”

Me: “Sir, we don’t print money here. We get it shipped to us.”

Customer #1: “And when will you have new bills shipped to you?”

Me: “We order it around Christmas.”

Customer #1: “Well, that doesn’t help me now. Fine. Where is there a currency exchange in this state?!”

Me: “It’s at [Large City three hours away].”

Customer #1: “You’re making me drive all the way over there?! You’re a bank! Forget it. I’ll try somewhere else where the tellers aren’t so useless!

He storms out. I take a deep breath to compose myself and call the next customer, a well-dressed older woman.

Customer #2: “I guess I’m out of luck? I need new ones for Eid, as well.”

I mentally groan and wait for the next temper tantrum.

Customer #2: “But you said you can find some nice ones?”

Me: “Yes, ma’am. How many do you need?”

Customer #2: “Do you have $10?”

Me: “I do.”

I count it out to her. She nods.

Customer #2: “These will work. They look almost new. Thank you so much. I heard you mention getting new money around Christmas. Can people place orders for that?”

Me: “Yes. You can call in around Thanksgiving and we’ll take an order for you. It usually takes a week or so to come in.”

Customer #2: “Fantastic! I’ll make a note to do that. Also, I’d like to apologize for that other guy.”

Me: “That’s not necessary.”

Customer #2: “No, I insist. He shouldn’t have treated you like that. It wasn’t right. You don’t control what gets sent to you. Anyway, you’ve been such a help, dear. I hope you have a fantastic day.”

She smiled, waved, and exited. Be nice to your tellers, people.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!