Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Never Get A Law Student Wind-ed Up

| Right | January 12, 2013

(I work as a customer service agent part time whilst obtaining my law degree. It has been a long day of shouting customers.)

Me: “So, sir, I really can’t discuss this with you as it’s all down to our claims team.”

Caller: “But you know it’s with them; you must be able to tell me what I’m getting.”

Me: “Sir, you’re asking me to comment on a legal issue. I’m not trained in this department, so all I can say is that someone will be in touch within the next two days.”

Caller: “I’m not satisfied with that answer. You’re going to tell me what’s happening right now, or you’ll be losing a customer, and if I have my way, your job.”

(This is followed by a 3 minute rant, heavy on the swears. Eventually, I get tired of it and manage to get a word in.)

Me: “Sir, the trolley was blown into your car?”

Caller: “Yes, but I, I’m not satisfi—”

Me: “As in by the wind?”

Caller: “Yes, bu—”

Me: “In that case, what has happened is classed as an Act of God. The store has made the best effort to make sure that trolleys aren’t left around the car park. However, if one person does leave the trolley and then that trolley is blown into a car, we can’t be deemed responsible, because 1) we took the utmost care to make sure that the carts were in the trolley bays, and 2) we don’t control the wind. Frankly, you wouldn’t be entitled to anything, but [brand] does not like bad advertising, so you’ll get something but you are going to have to wait for that till Thursday. Are you satisfied with the answer now, sir?”

Caller: “…Yes.”

(He then ends the call. Only time I’ve been glad for my degree choice.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!