Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Needs To Get That Chip Off Their Shoulder

| Right | February 26, 2015

(I work in a jewelry store in Canada. In Canada, chip-enabled credit cards are the norm, since they provide extra security against fraud, and the cashier doesn’t have to check ID or take a signature. However, my company’s policy is to ALWAYS check customer ID with credit cards, even if they have a chip – no matter how small the purchase is.)

Customer: “Yes, I’ll take the bracelet. Thank you.”

Me: “Fantastic! How would you like to pay today?”

Customer: “Visa, please.”

Me: “No problem, but could I just see a piece of photo ID with the credit card, please?”

Customer: “But it has a chip. You don’t need ID with a chip card. That’s the whole point of the chip.”

Me: “I’m so sorry, sir, it’s just our company policy in order to protect you and other customers when paying with credit. If you’d prefer to pay with a debit card or cash, I won’t need to see any ID at all.”

Customer: “This has never happened to me before! The whole point of a CHIP is so that I don’t need ID!”

Me: “I’m so sorry, sir! If you’d like to run home and grab a debit card or cash, I’d be happy to hold your bracelet for you.”

Customer: “That’s the strangest thing I’ve ever heard. How ridiculous. Could you get your manager?”

Me: “Of course, I’d be happy to.”

(As I move to fetch my manager, the customer grins and throws down two pieces of valid government issued photo ID that match his card.)

Customer: “I’m sorry, sweetheart. I was just teasing you. It’s true I’ve never had this happen to me before, but it’s a really good policy! Good for you for not backing down!”

(I am utterly speechless, but we finish the transaction pleasantly enough)

Customer: “I feel terrible for bugging you like that, but you can tell your manager you’re a star!”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!