Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Needs A Price And Attitude Adjustment

| Right | January 23, 2016

(I work in a mid-high end clothing store with a high focus on customer service. Unfortunately because of this many customers tend to abuse our policy knowing they are ‘always right.’ This happens one day when one woman continually tries to abuse us. I am currently the only one on the till as it isn’t too busy. A middle-aged woman walks up with a bag full of our clothes.)

Me: “How can I help you today?”

Customer: “I would like to return some items and get a price adjustment.”

Me: “No problem.”

(I start removing her clothes from her bag and notice some of them are part of our one day only flash sale where pants are half off.)

Me: “Sorry, but I can’t give you a price adjustment on these pants. It’s a flash sale today and cannot be applied to previously purchased merchandise. I can however give you a price adjustment on your sale items as they went down more and return your blazer! I’ll just need your receipt.”

Customer: *hands it over, not paying attention as she texts on her phone*

Me: *looking at receipt for most of the items* “Oh, sorry, ma’am.

we only do price adjustments within 14 days and you bought these a month ago.”

Customer: *finally paying attention* “I haven’t worn them and the tags are still attached so I have to have a price adjustment! And the pants I only bought a week ago!”

Me: “I’m sorry, but we only do price adjustments for 14 days and as I said earlier, your pants cannot be price adjusted as it is a flash sale. Only items today count.”

Customer: “Why’s that? I want a price adjustment! I’m within the time limit!”

Me: “It is a flash sale, one day only. Meaning you can only get the sale today if you buy something, not get a price adjustment! It is one of the only times we do not allow price adjustments. I’m sorry, but that’s the instructions sent from head office.”

Customer: “You guys have an unlimited return policy, right?”

Me: *sighs, knowing where this is going* “Yes, we do.”

Customer: “Then return all my items and I’ll re-buy them!” *smug look*

Me: “Yes, you can do that, but I know it’s a price adjustment and you only have 14 days for that AND your pants are not included!”

Customer: “Return all my items! I’m re-buying them for today’s sales!”

Me: *at this point there is nothing I can do, we have to return them* “All right.”

(I process her return, and re-purchase, which totals to her getting around $150 back. I look at the receipt to see which method she paid as it has to go back the same way.)

Me: “All right. So, you will be getting $150 back on your credit card. I’ll just need to see the card to verify it is the same one.”

(Customer shows me her card. The last four digits, all we can see on the receipts, do not match.)

Me: “Sorry, the card doesn’t match. Do you have another one?”

Customer: “My husband bought these for me on his card but we have a joint account.”

Me: “I cannot put the money back on any other card but the one from the receipt; however, I can give you a store credit.”

Customer: “But it goes to the same account!”

Me: “The numbers do not match; I have no way of knowing they are the same account. I only have the numbers.”

Customer: “Just put it on the card! I’m telling you they are the same account!”

Me: “I need the card or proof they are linked. It is credit card fraud to put the return back on another card. I’m sorry; I can give you a store credit.”

Customer: “I want it back on my card!”

Me: “We have an unlimited return policy; you can come back with the card that matched.”

Customer: “But I want it now! This is a one day sale!”

Me: “I’m sorry, but it’s policy to only put it on the card.”

Customer: “This is never a problem anywhere! IT’S THE SAME ACCOUNT!”

Me: “I understand that but there is nothing to prove that. It is credit card fraud to put it on a different card.”

Customer: “Get your manager.”

(I go get my manager who says ‘absolutely not’ after having the same conversation with the customer as me.)

Manager: “It’s for your safety that we have that rule in place. But just this once I will do it for you.” *this happens all the time and customers know this*

Customer: “Thank you.” *huge smile, then turns to me after the manager has walked away* “See, I told you to just do it!”

(The one thing I hate about the customer first policy is how much they abuse us associates and how managers always take their side.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!