Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Need To Adjust Their Psychology

| Learning | May 10, 2017

(In high school, I was put into a study skills [special education] class because I needed more time to take tests and this class allowed me to finish any test I didn’t finish in my regular class. I should also mention that I had a slight speech impediment where I couldn’t pronounce my ‘R’ and would stutter when I got nervous. This is the first time I am ever put into a study skills class and I notice that the teacher I have treats me and my classmates as if we can’t succeed because we are in a special ed class. I have this certain teacher for my junior and senior year of high school and throughout my junior year she tells us that because we have a learning disability, we won’t succeed in college. This story happens during the end of my senior year and she pulls me aside one day after class.)

Teacher: “I wanted to see what your plans were after you graduate from [School]?”

Me: “I have decided I wanted to do a major of psychology and a minor of child development. It has always been my goal to work with children as a child psychologist/counselor. I have been accepted into [Four Well-Known Universities] but I have received a full scholarship to [University nearby] and I have decided to go there.”

(My teacher stares at me for a couple of minutes and then looks at her aide, who starts to laugh at what I just said, then she looks back at me and starts to laugh as well.)

Teacher’s Aide: “I’m sorry for laughing but you will never succeed in psychology!”

Teacher: “You should’ve come to us first, [My Name]! What were you thinking?!”

Me: “I was thinking that it would be a great major for me since I’ve always been fascinated with psychology and I enjoy working with the kids.”

(I was expecting this kind of response from them since they always try telling the other students that college wasn’t a good choice for them but up until this point, I didn’t listen to anything they had to say because I knew what I was capable of.)

Teacher: “Why don’t you come during your lunch period and we can take a look what you would be capable of.”

Teacher’s Aide: “I’m sure it’s not too late to look at [Community College] and apply there as well. [University] isn’t the right fit for you.”

Me: “I’m sorry to sound rude, but getting into [University] was a huge accomplishment for me. If they accepted me then I’m sure they are certain with my grades that I’m the right fit for this school.”

Teacher: “We understand that but you’re in special education and it is harder for students like you to fit in with a school like [University]. I just can’t see you being a counselor especially with your speech impediment and your stutter! I think it would be best for you to go to [Community College] for general studies because, let’s face it, the only thing you will be successful in is a retail job or an office aide. You should reconsider your options, [My Name]!”

Me: “I will not reconsider my options just because you think I’m not capable of attending [University], just because the only reason I am in this class is because of needing extra time for tests. I have to get to my next class.”

(As I left the class, I heard them laughing at the possibility of me attending the university I was accepted in. I was so upset and angry that I was shaking but I didn’t go to the principal or another teacher about what happened because I was afraid they would agree with the teacher and her aide. This teacher even went as far as calling my parents to tell them I needed to ‘reconsider my options.’ A couple of months later, I graduated from my high school and attended the university I was accepted into. During my years of attending college, I received nothing but straight A’s without the help of anyone and I completed both my bachelor’s and master’s program at the top of my class. I am now working on completing my PhD and am working my dream job of being an elementary school counselor, I did run into my study skill’s teacher once while I was visiting my hometown and the look on her face when I told her I was working on my PhD and was working as a children’s counselor was priceless. I also thanked her for motivating me to succeed in college just so I could prove her wrong. Lesson learned: Don’t let anyone tell you’re not capable of doing anything because you can do anything you set your mind to!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!