Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Narrow It Down, I Beg You

, , , | Learning | April 10, 2023

I work in the registration department of a community college. I have a conversation like this at least once a month.

Customer: “Hi! I’d like to enroll.”

Me: “Great! Are you in a program?”

Customer: “No. What does that mean?”

Me: “That means you enroll in a program of study and you can get a certificate, diploma, or degree.”

Customer: “Oh, I don’t want that. I just want to take classes.”

Me: “All righty, then. What do you want to take?”

Customer: “I don’t know… Normal stuff, I guess?”

Me: “Like math and English classes?”

Customer: “I guess.”

Me: “Okay, sounds good. You’ll need to go to the testing center or provide ACT or SAT scores in order to get placed properly.”

Customer: “No, that sounds too hard. Can’t I just take whatever class I want?”

Me: “No, there’re prerequisites that need to be met so we can make sure you find a class that fits your skill and comprehension levels.”

Customer: “Well, what doesn’t require test scores?”

Me: “I could try to find something in a subject you’re interested in… How about…”

I proceed to name off a dozen subjects only to get a blank stare in return.

Customer: “I just want to take a few classes.”

Me: “…”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!