Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

My Time Is Valuable, Too, You Know

, , , , , , | Working | June 5, 2023

I am pregnant with our second child, and we have decided to trade in our supermini car for something a bit more suitable after already struggling to get everything packed when going on vacation with just one child — which included buckling our large duffle bag into the passenger seat. We make an appointment at a local dealership, totally willing to order a new car from them after a test drive.

We arrive five minutes early with our two-year-old in tow, get his car seat out of our car, and walk into the dealership.

Office Lady: “The car isn’t ready for you to look at yet. Could you please wait outside, due to [global health crisis] restrictions?”

So, we wait. And wait. And wait. With a two-year-old in a car dealership parking lot. And wait.

Thirty minutes after our appointment time, my husband goes back inside and is told they just need five more minutes as the car is still in the back getting cleaned. 

Forty-five minutes after our appointment time, a sales agent walks outside, takes us to a car, and hands us the keys.

Sales Agent: “Please be back in thirty minutes.”

We install the car seat, take a fifteen-minute test drive, and walk into the office upon our return.

Me: “Hey, we just test-drove the [Van] and would like to place an order for a new one. The ones you have in stock right now according to your website do not meet our criteria, but we really like the car. [Sales Agent] said we could do that when we got back?”

Office Lady: “Sorry, [Sales Agent] has just left for lunch. She should be back in around an hour.”

Me: “Okay. Um, she said we should be back within thirty minutes when we left twenty minutes ago. Is she really not around anymore?”

Office Lady: “No, she just left. She told me you were test-driving the black [Van] and to expect you back any minute.”

Me: “All right. Is there anyone else who can help us out? We already had to wait for the car to be ready for forty-five minutes, and we have our toddler with us, so we really can’t wait another hour and then go through the whole ordering stuff.”

Office Lady: “No. We don’t do that. You have been assigned to [Sales Agent], so she is the only one who can help you.”

We didn’t buy a car that day and took our business elsewhere. I am not sure they understood why.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!