Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

My Five Dads…

| Working | April 3, 2017

(I work at a local retail store that is known for their high priced, cheap clothing but somehow manages to attract teenagers because it is the “style.” Because of this, the store hires mostly teenagers. I, apparently, am the exception and work in the stock room. It is also important to note that we have a high turnover in staff and management. In the two years I have worked here I have had five different store managers. In addition, this particular company frowns upon calling in sick unless there is a legitimate reason… and being sick is not one of those reasons. There is a coworker of mine, Coworker #1, who is just out of high school and does not seem to like working, only getting paid. One day, after I first get hired, we get a new store manager.)

Coworker #1: “[Manager #1], I need the next week off; my father’s funeral is in a couple days.”

(Everyone gasps and goes to console Coworker #1, including myself.)

Manager #1: “Oh, my God! I am so sorry. Yes, take the week off and let me know if you need more time.”

Me: “Are you okay? That is awful!”

Coworker #1: “Yeah. I mean we weren’t that close, but still… he is my dad.”

Me: *and everyone else* “Yes, pay your respects to him.”

(Flash forward to six months later, when we have a new manager:)

Me: “Hey, [Manager #2], where is [Coworker #1]? She was scheduled to close with me.”

Manager #2: “Oh! It is so sad. She came to me yesterday and said that her father just died and she needs time off for his funeral! She will be off for a while.”

Me: “Yes, that was sad… six months ago when she told [Manager #1] that her father had died and she got over a week off for the funeral.”

Manager #2: “Wait? What? She got time off for her father’s death six months ago, too?”

(Another coworker, Coworker #2, who has been with the company for longer than I have then chimes in.)

Coworker #2: “Yes, it seems that when we get a new manager, her father dies. What a coincidence!”

(I haven’t seen or heard from Coworker #1 since then. No one knows exactly what happened, but it was said that she quit the second the newest manager confronted her about her constantly dying and resurrected father.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!