Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Moving The Line Forward By Paying It Forward

| Right | September 20, 2013

(I am about 11 years old, ordering lunch at the mall food court, from a restaurant that serves customers cafeteria style. I am alone, and there is a middle aged man in front of me in the line. I am not paying much attention to him as he reaches the register and pays, but does not immediately walk away.)

Cashier: *to customer behind me* “Just the entree, sir?”

Me: “Umm, excuse me?”

Cashier: *to me* “You need to move out of the way.”

Me: “But—”

(I realize she is not listening to me at all, and stand there bewildered as to what to do. After a few seconds, the middle-aged man chimes in.)

Middle-Aged Man: “She thought we were together. She charged me for your meal.”

Me: “Oh! I’m so sorry. I wasn’t even paying attention. Here, I’ll pay you back.”

Middle-Aged Man: “Nah, don’t worry about it. Have a nice day.”

(By the time I get over my shock and try to thank him, he has already walked away without another word. Nearly ten years later I still remember and appreciate it, proving that even the smallest act of generosity can have a lasting impression.)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!