Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

More Time At The Fishing Hole Might Help With That Road Rage

, , , , | Legal | June 6, 2022

I’m a woman in my early thirties and have been driving for over seventeen years. I have a pretty good driving record, only getting pulled over four times.

The fourth and most recent time I got pulled over happened when I was twenty-eight. I had moved up to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula and lived in a very rural area. It was summer and my sisters were up visiting me. We had spent the day on Lake Superior. We were all hungry and tired driving the forty-five minutes back to my house.

The speed limit was fifty-five, but the car in front of me was bouncing between forty and sixty miles an hour, driving me absolutely crazy. I didn’t have a clear way to pass them, and it seemed like every time I might have had a chance, they sped up. Finally, we came along a passing lane. 

For those that don’t know, passing lanes in the Upper Peninsula are when the two-lane roads add an extra lane on either side for a few miles to allow faster vehicles to pass slower vehicles. Usually, this lets people pass slower-moving logging trucks.

Seeing my chance, I got into the other lane and sped up to pass the car… which also sped up. I sped up even more because I was absolutely done with them and did not want to spend another twenty or so minutes behind them. Right as the lane ended and I was pulling in front of the car, I saw a state trooper in the oncoming lane. He went past, did a U-turn in the road, turned his lights on, and came after me. Great, just great. I pulled over. 

Trooper: “You were sure in a hurry! You were doing seventy-two in a fifty-five!”

Me: *Horrified* “WHAT?!”

He took my license and registration. I was freaking out. I had no idea I was going that fast. It was seventeen over the speed limit. I could get in serious trouble and possibly get my license suspended. My sisters were trying to help calm me down but weren’t having much luck.

The trooper came back to the car.

Trooper: “Where were you going in such a hurry?”

Me: “We spent the day at [Beach], and we’re headed back home and we’re really hungry.”

Trooper: “Oh, yeah, that’s a great place! There’s a nice fishing spot near there.”

Me: “Oh, yeah? Where?”

The trooper gave me directions to the fishing spot.

Trooper: “It’s pretty peaceful there, even if you don’t want to fish. I hope you ladies have a nice dinner when you get home. Just slow down, okay?”

Me: “Oh, absolutely, sir. Thank you. Have a goodnight!”

I still cannot believe that I did not get a ticket for that one. He could have given me a lesser speeding ticket, at the very least. He was super nice. I think he was just honestly concerned that I was driving so fast and wanted me to be safe.

I have been super careful since then and have not let my anger get the better of me. Knock wood, I haven’t been pulled over for any reason since then.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!