Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

More Than Just A Pet Hate

, , | Right | November 6, 2015

(The owner brings in a little, quite adorable, mixed-breed dog. After talking about everything under the sun about her pet’s healthcare, we get to the topic of having her pet spayed, which the owner agrees to.)

Me: “We have to wait a couple more months, but this is an estimate for how much the spay is going to cost so you can go ahead and plan for it.”

Owner: *looks at the estimate and her face gets really red and she yells* “It says here you have to put my pet under anesthesia!”

Me: “Well, yes, she is getting spayed. It is a surgical procedure where we have to go into the abdomen and remove the—”

Owner: “You are trying to rip me off! There is no reason my pet should have to be asleep for that!”

Me: “Ma’am, like I said, it is an abdominal surgical procedure—”

Owner: “I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY YOU CAN’T JUST HOLD HER DOWN AND SPAY HER! I WAS AWAKE FOR MY C-SECTION!”

Me: “Well, that is a very different procedure than the one we are discussing. Doing surgery on an animal is different than a human.”

(The owner goes into a rant about how she read on the Internet that vets like to rip people off and that her pet will die if she is put under anesthesia.)

Me: “Ma’am, would you want someone to hold you down, cut into your abdomen, and remove your reproductive organs while you are awake!?”

Owner: “NO, I WOULDN’T, BUT I’M A PAYING CUSTOMER. ISN’T THE CUSTOMER ALWAYS RIGHT?!”

Me: “NO! We are a medical practice, not Macy’s. Your pet is our patient.”

Owner: “You clearly don’t know what you’re doing! I’m going to take my pet to a more competent vet!”

(I then gave her her pet’s records and off she went ranting and raving without even paying her office visit fee.)


This story is part of our Take Your Dog To The Vet roundup!

Read the next Take Your Dog To The Vet roundup story!

Read the Take Your Dog To The Vet roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!