Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Money Squawks

, , , , , | Right | October 27, 2017

(It’s been a long shift, and I am the last one in the store besides my manager, who is hidden in the office preparing the night deposit. I’m processing a busy line and trying to get everyone out the door before close.)

Me: “That will be [total], ma’am. Were you able to find everything you needed today?”

Customer: “Oh, yes, thank you.”

(She places a bill on my check counter and busies herself in her handbag. I take it and begin counting her change.)

Customer: “EXCUSE ME? HOW RUDE!”

Me: “I… Pardon?”

Customer: “HOW DARE YOU TAKE MY MONEY LIKE THAT?! THAT IS SO DISRESPECTFUL! I DEMAND TO SEE YOUR MANAGER! WHERE IS HE?!”

(At this point, I see my manager poke her head out of the office to see what is going on.)

Me: “My manager is in the office, right over there, ma’am.”

(The customer storms over with her bags and change in hand and I quickly get back to the line.)

Manager: “Yes, ma’am, what is the problem?”

Customer: “HE INSULTED ME! HE STOOD THERE WITH THAT D*** SMILE AND JUST SNATCHED THE MONEY OUT OF MY HAND! I WANT HIM FIRED!”

Manager: “Are you saying you didn’t like that he took your money?”

Customer: “YES!”

Manager: “Well, ma’am, I’m afraid I can’t discipline somebody for doing their job.”

(The customer stormed out afterwards. It turns out the next lady in line was her daughter, and she apologized to us both for her mother’s conduct!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!