Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Momzilla Of The Bride

, , | Right | December 3, 2021

I work at a bridal shop that also sells a variety of bridesmaid, mother-of-the-bride, and special occasion/prom dresses. A woman is looking for a dress for her daughter’s wedding in a specific color.

Customer: “Is it true that if I wanted a certain dress—” *gestures to a black dress we have on the rack* “—but needed it in a different color, you could order that for me?”

Me: “No, we are only able to order different colors in bridesmaid dresses. For mother-of-the-bride dresses, we only sell what you see on the racks here.”

Customer: “Oh, okay. Thank you.”

I go back to my other work responsibilities and the customer approaches me a few minutes later.

Customer: “I am looking for a dress in [specific color] but I didn’t see anywhere you showed me earlier.”

Me: “Oh, yes. Our mother-of-the-bride dresses actually don’t come in that color. We do, however, have a few similar color dresses. Did you see those ones?”

Customer: “I did, but they won’t work.”

Me: “Okay, no worries! If you’re needing that color, let me show you some of our bridesmaid dresses that come in that color to see if you like anything!”

It is very common for mothers of brides and grooms to buy a bridesmaid dress instead; they often like the styles more as they are less matronly. I go through my whole thing, telling her about the styles and how we can order the dress in the color she wants. She rolls her eyes and looks at the dresses in disgust.

Customer: “Like I already told you before, I don’t need a bridesmaid dress. I’m not a bridesmaid. Do you even know what a mother-of-the-bride dress is?”

She then describes what a mother-of-the-bride dress is, which I already know because I work at a DRESS store. I’m shocked at the sudden change of attitude and the pure audacity.

Me: “Yes, ma’am, I know what a mother-of-the-bride dress is, but as I told you before, we don’t have that color in the dress you’re looking for. The bridesmaid section will be your best option to find that color dress. That’s why I brought you over here.”

She walked out a few minutes later and didn’t buy anything. Not surprising.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!