Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Mom May Have Dementia But The Son Is Just Stupid

, , , , | Right | July 6, 2021

I work for a housing company. I have this approximate exchange via email.

Day 1:

Customer: “I need to cancel my mother’s rental agreement. She has dementia and was admitted.”

Me: “I am so sorry to hear that. Here is the cancellation form. If she can no longer sign herself, we need proof of that — for example, a power of attorney from the courthouse, or her registration at the facility with her moving notice made at city hall.”

Customer: “She can no longer sign herself. She has dementia. She has no idea what is going on.”

Me: “I understand. Please give us proof, like [same as listed above] or anything else that is a legal document.”

Day 2: 

Customer: “I don’t have that.”

Me: “I understand, but we are not allowed to cancel a rental contract without the signature of your mother or any other proof.”

Customer: “Why?”

Me: “It is to protect your mother. We don’t want to make any mistakes, and we want to handle this delicate case correctly. Plus, it’s the law.”

Day 3: 

Customer: “But my mother has dementia and I am her son!”

Me: “I understand, but we need proof. Any kind of proof.”

Customer: “Why are you making this so hard? This is an old lady we are talking about!”

Me: “And we want to do this right for your mother. But again, we need proof.”

Day 4: 

Customer: “My mother rented this place for decades! Is this how you treat your loyal customers? She always paid on time, never raised a fuss, never asked for repairs… You are a cruel and heartless lot!”

Me: “Again, I understand your concerns, but we need proof to avoid fraud. Please arrange the proof needed and fill in the attached form.”

It was at that point that I also sent a copy of this interaction to our Fraud Department. I get that you don’t want to fill in forms, but four days have passed and this could’ve been dealt with within one or two days. It wouldn’t be the first time someone tried to cancel the rent of someone else out of malicious intent.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!