Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Miter Makes Right

, , , , , | Working | July 2, 2012

(My older brother is at work with me. He has a history as a bully, and is definitely used to people being afraid of him. He comes in while I’m helping a young female customer.)

Customer: “So, this is the basic design that I’ve come up with for the chest. I need to have eight of the boards angle cut and the rest just straight to these measurements and angles.”

Me: “Okay, I can take care of that for you.”

Customer: “Yeah, I just wish I had space for a table saw at home, but you know how apartment living goes. There’s a miter saw at my parents’ house, but I wouldn’t have a way to transport the chest to my apartment from their house if I built it there. So, the patio it is. ”

Me: *surprised* “You know how to use one?”

Customer: “Miter saw? Oh, yeah. It’s easy… just have to double-check your measurements. Also, I’m looking for a wood-burning pen and some stain.”

Me: “Something tells me this is going to be really nice when you’re done.”

(At this point, my brother decides to jump in with an unsolicited comment.)

My Brother: “Only if her boyfriend helps her.”

Customer: *dryly* “You’ve made two assumptions I’d like to point out. One is that I’m seeing someone, and two is that I’d want to.”

(His feathers ruffled, my brother takes on a more menacing tone.)

My Brother: “You don’t know who you’re messing with, little lady.”

Customer: “Someone who needs both manners and breath mints. Excuse me…” *to me* “Can you show me where those two items are, please?”

My Brother: *shocked* “I apologize—”

Customer: “Get bent!”

(The customer left our store soon after. When she came back, she showed me photos of the finished chest; it was absolutely beautiful!)

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!