Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Misconstrued Rude

| Right | March 4, 2013

(There are only two of us who work in the office. My coworker is male and I am female, so when customers cannot remember the name of the employee, we can still figure out who helped the customer.)

Customer: “Hi, I called earlier this morning with a question about my bill. I don’t remember who I was talking to, but I was extremely rude to him, and I just wanted to come by and apologize for my behavior.”

Me: “Umm… wow. Okay, let me get him for you…”

(I go and get my coworker.)

Coworker: “Yes, how may I help you?”

Customer: “I wanted to come in and apologize in person for how I acted on the phone this morning. I was rude, and there was no excuse for it, so I am sorry.”

Coworker: “Wow. Thanks, but, uh… I haven’t gotten any rude calls today.”

Customer: “Then maybe it was another coworker of yours?”

Me: “No, it’s just the two of us here.”

Customer: *turning to me* “Then maybe I talked to you, although I seem to remember talking to a man.”

Me: “I don’t think you were talking to me. I also haven’t received any rude calls today.”

Customer: “Really? There are people who are ruder than me?”

Me: “Yes.”

Coworker: “All the time.”

Customer: “Then I would like to apologize on behalf of all your customers who made me seem nice and friendly!”

(One thing I’ve learned from years of customer service: if you are worried about being THAT customer, chances are good that you aren’t!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!