Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Misapplication

| Working | August 3, 2017

(I am disabled, and have been working with the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation to try and find a job I can perform while going to school for psychology. The DVR refers me to an employment specialist who is supposed to help me find a job or internship in my field. This is our second meeting.)

Specialist: “All right, based on what you said about wanting to be a child psychologist, I’ve brought you an application for a childcare center!”

Me: “Okay… where’s it located?”

Specialist: “[Address].”

Me: “Does the bus go out there? I can’t drive.”

(I informed her of this last time, and told her any job I take needs to be on the bus route.)

Specialist: “I’m not sure… Just fill out the application anyway!”

Me: “Okay…” *starts filling it out* “It’s asking what position I’m applying for. What’s the open position for?”

Specialist: “Oh, I don’t know if there’s any open positions or not. Just put down ‘any.’”

Me: “…”

(So she brought me one application barely in my field, didn’t know if I could even get there, didn’t know the responsibilities or whether or not I’d be able to perform them, and didn’t even know if they were hiring. I then tried for three months to arrange a follow up meeting, and never heard back from her despite calling and emailing repeatedly. Very helpful.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!