Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

The Metro Doesn’t Go That Far

, , , , , | Right | March 25, 2018

(Our hotel is right by the airport, so most of our guests are people coming in on flights from other parts of the country. A lot of the time, people who are arriving in a few days will call ahead to get the layout of the area and local attractions.)

Me: “Thank you for calling [Hotel]. This is [My Name]. How may I help you?”

Caller: “Yes, my husband and I will be staying there next week, and we wanted to know how far it is to the Empire State Building.”

Me: *mild shock and general speechlessness* “Uh, ma’am, we are about six hours from New York City.”

Caller: *scoffs at my apparent stupidity* “Well, I am looking at it right now on the Google, and it says that your hotel is only a 20-minute walk from the Empire State building.”

Me: “Ma’am, I can assure you that you would not be able to walk from our hotel in Upstate New York to New York City, which is about 300 miles away.”

Caller: “Well, I don’t think you have any idea where you live. And I think that you are an idiot. I just talked to my husband, and he is sure that when he booked the room it said it was close to downtown.”

Me: “Yes, ma’am, we are very close to downtown Rochester. Not downtown Manhattan. The two are very far apart.”

Caller: “You’re an idiot and we will be staying somewhere else, where people know how far it is to the places around them.”

(At this point, I was simply too dumbstruck to know what else to say, so I just told her to have a nice day and that I was sorry we couldn’t help her. She ended up calling back a few days later and screaming at the manager of my hotel, who also told her we were not within walking distance of the Empire State Building.)


This story is part of our New York City roundup!

Read the next New York City roundup story!

Read the New York City roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!