Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

May We All Be Blessed With Such Weirdness

, , , , | Working | August 19, 2020

It’s the last day of my job after working through two months of notice. I’m an advocate in the justice system. Although I love my clients, I’m horrifically overworked, underpaid, and being systematically treated like a dogsbody by all but a select few of my colleagues.

So far, I’ve had two threatening calls from my manager telling me I need to work another month, the CEO asking if I think that jobs grow on trees, and my coworker saying I’m being selfish as she’s going to have to work her full hours now.

I also had a “goodbye” card that had clearly been written for someone else, with their name crossed out and mine written over it, and a bunch of lilies — I’m allergic, which should be well known.

I’m so ready to leave that I’m considering jumping out a window when one of my clients turns up at my office carrying a big shopping bag.

“Hey, [My Name],” she says. “I just wanted to say goodbye, good luck, and thank you. I hate goodbyes so don’t start getting emotional with me. Take this and have a really good life! F*** anyone who tries to tell you you’re not awesome! Bye!”

She nearly threw the bag at me and ran from the building. 

I opened the bag to find a casserole veg pack — I’m dieting — a keyring with a hand-drawn portrait of me on it, and a homemade thank-you card.

She was right to run; I cried so hard at the weird, thoughtful gift and decided in that moment to never be treated below my worth again.

The keyring is still with me ten years later.


This story is part of our feel-good roundup for August 2020!

Read the next feel-good story here!

Read the feel-good August 2020 roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!