Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Manager, Manage! Part 2

, , , , , | Working | August 25, 2020

I’m working the register like I do every day. It’s after lunch, so we’re slow. I start stocking and cleaning up. The manager is sitting at a table behind my register. A customer is ready for me to cash him out, but his drink doesn’t ring up — “item not found” — so I start typing in the product.

The man suggests a few ways to try to find it but to no avail. We can’t. I turn around to my manager and explain the situation. Still fixated on his laptop, he tells me to do what I’ve already done. I smile and say, “Yes, sir, I’ve already done that.”

“Did you look it up as the product?”

“Yes, name, type, flavor, and there’s nothing for it. So what should I do? This customer wants it.” I ask, rolling my eyes as he remains there on his laptop.

The customer proceeds, “Ma’am, never mind. Sorry to have caused trouble. Clearly neither of us is going to get help.”

“No, sir, here you go. I’ll charge you this price since it’s the same product. I apologize for the inconvenience,” I say as I smile, clearly annoyed. I proceed to finish what I started.

My boss goes to the register and looks it up — it isn’t there. He looks at me and says, “Well, why isn’t it in here?”, obviously irritated.

“Why’re you asking me? You’re the manager!”

Related:
Manager, Manage!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!