Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Making You Feel Down About The Upgrade

| Right | June 27, 2016

(As a manager at this restaurant known for it’s square meat and ice cream desserts, it’s my job to keep the pace fast and satisfy our customers. This happened as our dinner rush was nearing the end.)

Cashier: “Welcome to [Restaurant]. May I take your order?”

Customer #1: “Yes, I’d like a large chocolate ice cream and a small vanilla.”

(Cashier tells them the total and takes their money. Sometimes when it gets busy, we make mistakes. I accidentally upgraded her vanilla into a large. Thinking she’d be happy, I open the window and start giving her her dessert.)

Me: “Ma’am, I accidentally upgraded your dessert. However, you weren’t charged for it! I do apologize.”

Customer #1: “Just means more ice cream for me!”

(So I smile, wish her a nice day, and close my window to go and bag the next order. As I open the window, expecting the next customer, I’m surprised to see my last customer.)

Me: “Is something wrong?”

Customer #1: “Where is my small vanilla ice cream?”

Me: “I’m sorry?”

Customer #1: My small vanilla! You never gave it to me!

Me: “Ma’am, you were upgraded to a bigger size.”

Customer #1: “I want my damn ice cream! You’re trying to rip me off!!”

(I finally lose my patience as she is destroying my fast drive times and hold my hand out.)

Me: “Ma’am, you obviously don’t appreciate the free upgrade. I’ll take that large vanilla and replace it with a small.”

(Realizing I’m not backing down or giving her more free ice cream, she gives a fake smile and tries to make herself likable again.)

Customer #1: “It was a free upgrade? I’m so sorry, dear; I don’t know what came over me!”

(She finally pulls off, and the next customer pulls up.)

Customer #2: “My gosh! You’d think people would be happy with a free upgrade! Are all your nights like this?”

Me: “There’s always that one person…”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!