Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Making Them See The Other Side Of The Coin

, , , , | Friendly | December 20, 2020

I stop at a coin store on the way home from work to pick up a couple of pieces of “junk silver,” certain US coins minted before 1965, but not in great condition. They’re worth a little more than face value but aren’t the type that collectors usually want, so not anywhere near as expensive. My husband thinks they’re interesting even if they aren’t collection-worthy so I always get a couple to put in his Christmas stocking.

Inside the store is the owner and another customer, both men about my father’s age. I explain to the owner what I’m looking for and he grabs the junk silver tubs for me to look through, commenting that my husband is a lucky man to have me indulging his hobby.

Other Customer: *Grumpily* “I wish my wife would get me coins for Christmas.”

Me: “Have you ever told her you’d like coins?”

Other Customer: “Well… no.”

Me: “Maybe you should let her know. My husband told me when we first got married, so I’ve been able to get him coins for over a decade now.”

Other Customer: “Yeah… I guess.”

Most people can’t read minds, it turns out! Sure, she might know he enjoys coins, but she might also think he wants to pick out his own.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!