Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Making The Purchase Takes An (Under)Age

| Working | November 10, 2015

(I’m standing in line waiting to check out at the grocery store. I ask for a pack of cigarettes along with my purchase, and the cashier turns to get them. It should be noted that I am 23 years old at the time. As he turns, I hear a familiar voice from the customer behind me in line. It’s my uncle.)

Uncle: *clearly joking* “Hey, don’t sell those to her; she’s underage!”

Me: *laughing* “Fancy meeting you here! How are you?”

Cashier: “Ma’am, I need to see your ID for these.”

Me: “Sure.” *hands over license*

Cashier: *looks at ID and hands it back* “I’m sorry, ma’am, you need to be 18 to buy tobacco products.”

Me: “I’m 23.” *hands my ID back to him again*

Uncle: “I was joking before. She is not underage.”

Cashier: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but you need to be 18.” *shoves my ID back at me again*

Me: “I’m 23… unless you are suggesting that I need to be EXACTLY 18 to buy cigarettes…”

Cashier: “No, you need to be older than 18.” *pauses* “Let me see that ID again.”

Me: *hands over the ID again*

(He studies it for an uncomfortable length of time. My uncle and I are dumbfounded. Finally he hands it back. He seemed satisfied that I am in fact old enough to buy tobacco products. I complete my purchase and wait for my uncle so we can chat.)

Uncle: “May I have a pack of Marlboro Lights, please.”

Me: “Check that ID; I don’t think he’s 18.” *laughing*

Cashier: *chuckling* “I’m so bad at math.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!