Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Making Sweepingly Bad Statements

, , , , , | Working | July 17, 2013

(I’m the closing supervisor and have just verified someone has finished their bi-weekly training. The training covers customer service, which includes not telling a customer ‘no’ without verification.)

Coworker: “Welcome to [Store]; how can we help you?”

Customer: “I’m looking for sweeping compound, lea—”

Coworker: “We don’t carry sweeping compound. What would you use it for? Kitty litter works fine.”

Customer: “I don’t need oil dry; I need sweeping compound.”

Coworker: “We don’t sell stupid s***.”

Me: *to my customer* “I’m sorry about this.” *to my coworker* “Go clock out and leave.” *to my customer again* “Sir, I apologize for how you’ve been treated. I’ll assist you today to get your list complete and then give you a 20% discount. Sweeping compound is right this way.”

(My coworker stomps off and calls the manager to say I was arguing with him and tried to fire him. The manager comes over as I am personally checking out the customer.)

Manager: “[My Name], need to talk quick.”

Me: “Sure.” *to the customer* “Thank you, sir, for being tolerant of us, and I hope to see you back.”

Customer: “Absolutely! Everyone else has been great.” *to the manager* “You hire the nicest, smartest girls here. Your grump could learn from them.”

Coworker: *seeing the customer leaving* “See! I told you we don’t carry that stupid s***!”

Manager: “[My Name], never mind. [Coworker], give me your keys.”

Coworker: “Why? I didn’t do anything wrong!”


This story is part of the grouch day roundup!

Read the next grouch day roundup story!

Read the grouch day roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!