Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Making Headway With The Headlights

| Right | January 3, 2014

(I work at an auto parts store. We are not certified to repair cars; we are just a retail shop. I do, however, let customers know that if a cashier feels they are able to help in any way that we will do so.)

Me: “Hello, there. How may I help you today?”

Customer: “I need a headlight for my car.”

Me: “Okay. What is the year, make, and model?”

(The customer tells me the car. She pays, and then walks outside. I begin stocking shelves, when she comes back a few minutes later looking very angry.)

Customer: “What do you think you’re doing?!”

Me: “Um… stocking shelves?”

Customer: “Why aren’t you helping me outside?!”

Me: “I’m sorry. I didn’t realize you still needed help.”

Customer: “Who else is going to put my headlight in?!”

Me: “Well, ma’am, we don’t normally do that, but I am willing to take a look to see if I can help you in any way.”

Customer: “WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU WON’T PUT IT IN!?”

Me: “I didn’t say that. I told you I will have a look.”

Customer: “Fine. Just do it!”

(I walk outside, and look at her car. As I feared I would have to remove the bumper and headlight assembly to replace her bulb. This is something I am not willing to risk my job for.)

Me: “I am sorry, ma’am, but I can not assist you. I would have to remove your bumper and the headlight case to replace your bulb. I do not have the tools or experience to do this.”

Customer: “I don’t CARE. Just do it!”

Me: “No.”

Customer: “Excuse me!?”

Me: “I said, no. I will not install your headlight.”

Customer: “Well, you need to—”

Me: “No. You NEED to listen. This is NOT a repair shop. I have been very nice to you and tried to help you to the best of my ability. Replacing your headlight requires more work than we are allowed to do by company policy. Now, if you would stop yelling at me, I will be more than happy to give you the number of a proper repair shop.”

Customer: “I… Yes. I’m sorry.”

(I gave her the number and name of a shop. I have seen her come in and, thankfully, she has been very pleasant ever since.)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!