Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Making Contact With The Right Employee Can Be Eye-Opening!

, , , | Working | May 1, 2020

My boyfriend and I have just booked plane tickets for a well-deserved vacation. I’m near-sighted and have been using contacts for a little over a year, after fifteen years of wearing glasses, so I’m afraid that some issue can come up with my contacts while abroad.

I get the contacts delivered by mail and when I sign up for this service I am told that I can get a free pair once a year, when I go on vacation. Because my address has recently changed, I call the service hotline to notify them of that, and since I’m already on the phone with them, I decide to ask about the vacation contacts.

Me: “So, I don’t exactly remember how this was supposed to work, but when I signed up, I was told I can request a free pair before going on vacation, should I happen to lose the contacts.” 

Customer Service: “Wait, who told you this?”

Me: “Um, it was the lady who told me of this service and signed me up for it… in my local [Store]’s location.”

Customer Service: “I’m sorry, she must have gotten something wrong. This is something we used to offer, but it’s not been active for the last couple of years. This lady told you this last year?”

Me: “Yes, in March. She tested my eyes and took the measurements for the contacts, and then signed me up when I decided to get them so that I could get a new pair every month.”

Customer Service: “Okay, she definitely was giving you the wrong information, I guess she really forgot this was no longer an offer we make. But I’ll be sending you a complimentary pair, anyway, because you were informed wrong.”

I’m now totally scared that I’m THAT customer that always demands free things.

Me: “Oh, you don’t have to. It’s all right; I can just order an additional pair and then cancel the following month’s order. I really didn’t want to leech off—”

Customer Service: “Don’t worry about it; you were given the wrong information, so this is something small I can do for you to compensate you for it. Now, should I have them sent to your new address?”

Me: “Yes, please. And this is so nice of you! Thank you very much!”

I’m logging in to the portal right now to see if I can rate this call and give some positive feedback for this representative. It’s a small thing, really, and something I wasn’t expecting, or demanding, so it took me completely by surprise.


This story was included in our May 2020 Inspirational Roundup.

Click here to read the next story!

Click here to go to the roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!