Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Making A Lot Of Noise And The Karaoke Hasn’t Even Started

, , , , , , | Right | December 8, 2020

I work at a bar where you can reserve private rooms set up with karaoke machines. I’m in charge of organising the reservations, etc. A woman comes in at 11:00 pm with a big grin on her face and leans on my desk.

Customer: “I have a reservation for 11:45.”

There are no reservations for that time.

Me: “Okay, let me just have a look through my system. 11:45? What name would it be under and how did you make the reservation?”

Customer: “I called half an hour ago. It’s under [Customer].”

Me: “And you definitely called our branch? Unfortunately, I don’t have a reservation that matches those details; let me check our other branches.”

I check the reservation lists for our other branches and still can’t find her.

Customer: “No! It was definitely here! I rang up and spoke to a man who said there was a room free at 11:45!”

I’m the person who takes all the phone calls at night, and I’m female, so I already know she definitely didn’t make a reservation here.

Me: “I’m really sorry, ma’am, but there is no reservation at any of our stores under that name or at 11:45. Did you get a confirmation email?”

Customer: “This is ridiculous. Look.”

She shows me her phone call history.

Customer: “This is the phone call. This is your number.”

The phone number on the screen isn’t correct for any of our stores. I type it into Google to see what comes up.

Me: “You definitely called [Our Chain]?”

Customer: “Yes! I have five friends outside who are expecting to sing here and you’re telling me some idiot lost my reservation?”

Me: “No, I’m sorry, ma’am, but the phone number you called isn’t for us. You have actually rung [Competitor]. Unfortunately, you’re in the wrong store. Would you like me to call them and let them know you are on your way?”

Customer: “You want me to walk all the way to [Competitor]? But I’m here! I wanted the booking for here!”

Me: “That’s fine. I can put you on my waitlist if you would like to stay here instead of going and taking your reservation at [Competitor]. The next available room is at 12:30 am.”

I also explain the pricing system to her.

Customer: “Ugh. Whatever. Put me down for the next room. And I mean the very next one!”

I write her into the waitlist and she leaves for the main bar area. She comes back at 12:15 am. 

Customer: “Is my room ready yet?”

Me: “Unfortunately, the group before you still has ten minutes left. I will send a waiter to pick you and your party up as soon as the room is ready for you. You’re welcome to wait in the bar.”

Customer: “Can’t you just kick them out?”

Me: “They have paid to have the room for a set amount of time, so no, I can’t make them leave any earlier.”

Customer: “Am I getting this for free? This has all been ridiculous. I should be compensated for the trouble.”

Me: “You… you want the room for free?”

Customer: “Yes! I want the room free of charge and a discount on our drinks. You’ve had me waiting for ages!”

Me: “I did inform you that the earliest room available was at 12:30 am and you agreed. There is no earlier time and unfortunately, I can’t offer you any discounts tonight because we haven’t done anything wrong, ma’am.”

Customer: “First, you didn’t have my booking and then you made me wait an extra hour! I think you’ve done everything wrong!”

I’m trying to stop myself from laughing.

Me: “So, let me get this straight. You want me to give you a heavily discounted room price and drinks because you incorrectly booked in for [Competitor] and I was fully booked at the time you wanted?

Customer: “I… Yes!”

Me: “The price will remain the same, and I will hold the reservation I have made until 12:45 for you. When you decide if you would like to continue, come and let me know; otherwise, I will give your room to the next group on my waitlist.”

She stormed off in a huff and came back at 12:30 with her friends, begrudgingly paid me the correct amount for the room hire, and spent the rest of the night flipping me off via the security camera in her room.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!