Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Makes You Wish She’d Phoned It In

, , | Right | January 12, 2022

I work at a mobile phone telco store. We have no capacity to solve problems with devices; the store is set up to only sell sim cards. We’re not device manufacturers or repair technicians. The only time we can do anything is sending a phone away under warranty.

I’m standing at the front booking people in. We have six people in the queue and the wait is thirty to forty minutes to be seen. A lady comes in with a phone.

Customer: “I use this phone for work, and it’s glitchy as h***. All these apps won’t work!”

Me: “We can’t provide support for [Phone Brand] or third-party apps if there’s an issue. How long have you had it for? Is it still in contract?”

Customer: “No, I’ve had it since this model came out.”

So, the warranty is well and truly gone.

Me: “Since it’s out of warranty and it’s a major technical issue, the only thing you can really do is go to [Phone Brand]. Otherwise, the only thing we can do in a telco store is factory reset the device or you can buy a new in-market software supported device.”

Customer: “I’m not doing any of that.”

Me: “Luv, you’re having issues with a four-year-old device that’s out of warranty and no longer supported by software updates. There’s nothing further we can do for you.”

Customer: “Well, you’re going to have to figure it out, aren’t you? I’m not leaving this store until it’s sorted!”

Me: “Can you curb your aggression? It’s unnecessary.”

Customer: “You feel threatened because I’m finally putting my foot down! I’ve worked in retail longer than you’ve been alive.”

My coworker then sits her down and explains the same thing I said and she has a dummy spit (tantrum) at her. Then, as she walks out of the store, she leans over, grabs my arm, speaking with the biggest grin on her face.

Customer: “See ya! Thanks for your help today.”

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!