Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Where Social Awkwardness Meets Social Anxiety

| Related | February 18, 2017

(I’m an extremely awkward and quiet 14-year-old. Usually, I can handle communicating with adults and sometimes even small children but the one type of person I can never, ever, talk to are people my own age.)

Dad: “Come with me. I have to visit my colleague.”

Me: *reluctantly* “All right…”

(We get into the car. Now, I’m slightly confused because I’m dressed in shorts and a t-shirt, definitely not proper attire to meet another person’s family, but my dad says nothing about it.)

Dad: “Oh, by the way, I forgot to mention — my colleague has kids about your age. You should talk to them. Socialise.”

Me: *goes pale*

(We stop at a store and collect some parcels, which we carry back to the car. Apparently these are gifts for his colleague. During this time, I completely freak out in my brain and wonder what I’m supposed to do or say when I meet these kids of his/hers.)

Dad: *parks the car* “Okay. Thanks for your help.”

Me: “We… we’re home. Aren’t we supposed to meet your colleague?”

Dad: “I lied about that.”

Me: “Huh?”

Dad: “You should have seen your face.” *laughs*

(Turned out my dad just needed me for the parcels, and only mentioned the “colleague” and the “kids” to watch me squirm for the whole ride!)

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!