Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Make A Bad Call, Get A Whole Lot More

, , , , , | Working | CREDIT: ashtit | September 15, 2022

I work in healthcare where phones are not to be used while on the floor, caring for patients, etc. This is for privacy reasons, which is fine and understandable. Most of us have our phones on us or in the break room, and we don’t use them unless on break or away from patient care areas. None of us check our phones while busy, and if we do, we always get called out for it by other staff.

We have a meeting with our manager.

Manager: “You are no longer allowed to have your phones on you, as it is a distraction and it’s against policy. This means phones are not to be used unless you are out of the unit or off hospital grounds.”

A few people pipe up and say they have young kids in care where their phone is the direct communication for the carers. Some have issues at home for which they need to have their phones to have quick contact if needed, even if their phones are left in their handbags and can be checked on breaks. Not only that, but we have a half-hour unpaid lunch break where we should be able to use our phones as we see fit. This is also denied as it’s still in a healthcare setting and could cause WHS issues.

Now, I know working in healthcare and personal mobile phones don’t mix as it really is against policy. However, denying us complete access is a total overreach. The issues with requiring quick and direct contact with home or other outside work contacts are brushed off.

Manager: “If your issues are that bad at home, you shouldn’t be at work.”

Many people are a bit taken aback by this, saying that a lot of the home issues are resolved by a quick text back and that not allowing us access to our phones while at work is a bit unreasonable.

Manager: “If that is the case, you may give people my direct work number. Contact can go through me, and I will relay messages to you or give my phone to you to talk to the caller.”

Cue malicious compliance. We all give our at-home spouses, carers, schools, etc., the direct work line to call for any reason if they are unable to get in contact with us directly, and the phone starts ringing continuously.

First is a lady whose husband needs approval for a big financial decision at home. The next is a vet calling to tell a coworker their dog needs to be put down. I get a call from my children’s daycare saying my son has been bitten and is bleeding (mandatory reporting policy).

There are several other phone calls within the span of a few hours. My manager is constantly running to find us to relay messages or pull us off the floor so we can speak to the callers, wasting more time than if we were allowed to shoot through a quick text or take a quick phone call while on our breaks.

The next day, we are given new instructions.

Manager: “You may access your phones while on breaks. Please tell your home contacts to stop calling my phone.”

It took a few days for everyone to get the message, meaning there were still many unnecessary calls coming through, but it made it obvious that the need for communication lines to be open at home was important.

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!