Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

It’s A Mad Ad World

, , , , , | Right | December 11, 2017

(I work at a popular arts and crafts store as a manager. We frequently get customers who don’t pay attention to our ads, which have the terms of our sales printed in large, plain letters. On this day, the amount of people doing this has been ridiculous. I finally get fed up with bending the rules for people, so I try to enforce our policy.)

Cashier: “Hey, [My Name], this customer says that these were marked as $8.99, but they’re ringing up as $16.99. Can you check for me?”

Me: “Sure thing. I’ll be right back!”

(Sure enough, I go check the product and see that the ad sign is outdated. It is also not placed near the product that the customer picked up.)

Me: *over the radio* “So, the ad isn’t for that product.”

Cashier: “She’s coming over to check.”

(At this point, I’m frustrated. I step out and sure enough, the customer is walking intently down the aisle toward me.)

Customer: “See? They’re $8.99!”

Me: “I’m very sorry, ma’am, but this ad sign is outdated…” *I indicate the date on the ad* “…and it is also not hanging near the product you brought up.” *I indicate that the product she has is not beside the ad sign*

Customer: “But you have to honour the price! It’s advertised!”

Me: “I’m very sorry, but—”

Customer: “I want to speak to your manager.”

Me: “Ma’am, I am one of the managers here.”

Customer: “Then I want to speak to someone above you! Every other store I go to would honour that price!”

(After a couple minutes of arguing, I decide it’s just not worth it to argue with a customer.)

Me: “I’m sorry about that, ma’am; I’ll get the cashier to honour that price for you.”

Customer: *smiling* “Well, I wouldn’t have wanted you to do something you weren’t comfortable with!”

Me: “Have a good day, ma’am.”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!