Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Lucky Dollar Thirteen

| Right | September 19, 2014

(It is my first day working the cash register, and everything is going well. A customer approaches my register with a handful of items. At first, she can’t figure out which items she wishes to use for which promotions, constantly changing her mind. Then she wants to use multiple (expired) coupons on her purchase. I call my coworker over to help explain to the customer how the promotions and coupons work. We finally get her straightened out on the promotions, and then this exchange happens.)

Customer: “Okay, I think I got it. Now, with this coupon I get one item free, right?”

Me:” Yes, ma’am, one item up to $13.”

Customer: “Okay, well, these items here are about $13 total. Can I use those?”

Me: “No, ma’am, the coupon is for one item up to $13.”

Customer: “Oh, okay. I’d like to use this item, then.”

(She places her coupon on a $14 item.)

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am, but you can’t use the coupon to get that item free; it’s $14.”

Customer: “But, you said $13.”

Coworker: “Yes, up to $13, but that is $14.”

Customer: “But, you said $13.”

Coworker: “Yes, up to $13. THAT’S $14.”

Customer: “But… didn’t you say $13?”

Coworker:  Yes, the coupon is up to $13. That item is $14.”

(This continues back and forth for nearly a minute.)

Customer: “OH! You mean INCLUDING $13!”

Coworker: “Yes?”

Customer: “Well, the coupon should say that. I’ll find another item.”

(The customer goes to get another item– We still don’t know if she understood a word we said. Since we don’t know how long the customer is going to take, I invite the next customer in line to come to the register.)

Next Customer: *sets her items on the counter with a gracious smile* “I have four items and no coupons.”

Me: “I am so sorry for your wait, ma’am…”


This story is part of the Crazy-First-Day roundup!

Read the next Crazy-First-Day roundup story!

Read the Crazy-First-Day roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!