Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Lower Your Expectations About That Raise

, , , , | Working | July 13, 2021

I took a big promotion at work and I had six months to prove myself. At the end, I’d have a pay rise, a company car, and an additional member of staff to fill my old position. 

About five months in, a new senior director was appointed. I didn’t spend much time with him; he busied himself at another site. Eventually, and after many requests, we sat down to discuss my six months.

Me: “Thank you for taking the time to speak with me.”

Boss: “Not at all. I’m just sorry we didn’t do it earlier.”

Me: “As you should know, I have been on a sort of trial period over the last six months.”

I explained the terms under which I took the role.

Boss: “Well, I don’t know anything about that!”

Me: “It’s the terms under which I took the role, so I would appreciate it if you spoke to [His Boss].”

Boss: “Well, okay, but I don’t know about this.”

He went off to check, but it was weeks before he finally sat with me again. Basically, he told me that there was no raise, no car, and no more staff. Take it or leave it. He thought he’d won until I handed in my notice right before a major program launch and refused to train any other staff. I’ve never looked back since.

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!